BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ - Intelligent Splitter Outdoor version
The NEW hardwired version of our popular Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO is here!
The BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ - Intelligent Splitter Outdoor version is a hardwired fully automatic 2-way switcher based on the original Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO. It allows you to share your Dryer circuit with your EVSE without having to flip any switches. It may also be used to share any circuit with a second load, for example an Electric Water Heater circuit can be shared with a new 240v outlet for anything you need to power. Basic operation is simple, the Dryer circuit is always live and the EVSE circuit is only live when there is enough amperage available to charge your EV. When the Dryer is off it is drawing little to no amps so the EVSE circuit is switched on allowing your EV to charge. If the Dryer is turned on at any time then the EVSE circuit is switched off, when the Dryer is done, power is restored to the EVSE circuit and if your EV needs charging it will resume charging after a 5 min delay (adjustable). Designed so other members of the house don't have to understand anything technical to use the Dryer when they need to do a load of laundry.
The BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ Outdoor version is built in a heavy metal distribution center rated for Outdoor use and comes with a redundant circuit breaker for the EVSE output. This provides a local disconnect so you may work down the line on your EVSE without removing power to your Dryer or other appliance. This unit doesn't include a kWh meter as those are not rated for outdoor use.
Selecting models; Typically you would select the BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ Outdoor version with the same rating as your existing circuit breaker but you can future proof by ordering a larger unit that has more bandwidth (in amps) and requesting in the Order Notes for a smaller EVSE circuit breaker that matches your existing breaker rating. For example a 50amp BSA Electronics Intellisplit with a request for a 30amp EVSE breaker installed with your existing 30amp Dryer or Water Heater circuit.
This is a kit that requires home electrical installations skills or installation by a qualified Handyman/Electrician. Dimensions are: 11 3/4" x 11 1/4" x 4"
Please note: What needs and doesn't need to be permitted as well as local code vary from city to city, you will want to look into this before purchasing and committing. BSA Electronics is not responsible for these additional cost and returns are not accepted if it is determined you cannot use this custom built product in your project.
Some high efficiency Dryers such as the Bosch Series 800 Max slowly ramp the speed of the motor and don't draw significant current while running, which will cause erratic switching, to alleviate this the Delay Controller is standard in the BSA Electronics Intellisplit. If you are using a BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ to share one circuit and charge two EV’s (no Dryer) then you will definitely need the built in Delay Controller.
URL link: BSA Electronics Intellisplit™
Need some help identifying your wall outlet? We can help! Below is a description of the more common NEMA outlets and their numbers as well as some handy NEMA plug charts. You can also email us a pic of your plugs and outlets you need help identifying and we would be happy to help.
Here are the more common NEMA outlets:
- 5-15 standard 15A 120 volt household outlet, the most common you see everywhere.
- 5-20 standard 20A 120 volt household outlet, required by code in bathroom and behind your refrigerator.
- 6-15 standard 15A 240 volt household outlet, found in homes and motels for running in-wall Air Conditioners, it’s the smaller brother to the NEMA 6-20 outlet. The 5-20 is not as common as a 6-20 outlet with it’s “T” shaped slot as it will accept both 6-20 and 6-15 plugs.
- 6-20 standard 20A 240 volt household outlet, found in homes and motels for running in-wall Air Conditioners, also found occasionally in residential garages.
- 6-50 standard 50A 240 volt 3-prong outlet, found in shops and garages used for large welders.
- 10-30 standard 30A 240 volt 3-prong Dryer outlet found in homes build before 1996
- 14-30 standard 30A 240 volt 4-prong Dryer outlet found in homes build in 1996 and newer
- 14-50 standard 50A 240 volt 4-prong Range (electric stove top) outlet, also called RV-50 at the RV parks. By far the best universal connector to have for an EVSE. This is the one the Tesla guys install in their garages.
- TT-30 (Travel Trailer 30amp) 30A 240 volt 3-prong outlet, the older style found in RV parks, not used in residential homes.
- L6-30 (locking 240 volt 30amp) Twist-Lock 30A 240 volt outlet, my personal favorite locking connector, easy to find in stores, works great for adding adapters to portables EVSE’s equipped with a L6-30 plug.
220/240 volt outlets are commonly install with the ground pin towards the ceiling for safety. 110/120 volt outlets can be found mounted in all directions. Be sure to carefully look at your outlet and the chart, it's easy to mistake one outlet for another if your outlet has it's ground pin facing the floor instead of the ceiling or Vice Versa compared to the chart.
In the full NEMA number you will see a capital R or P. The R stands for Receptacle (outlet) and the P stands for Plug, we commonly truncate this to just the numbers and add the word receptacle (or outlet) at the end. For example 14-50R becomes 14-50 receptacle or 14-50 outlet.
Need some extra length between your outlet and your Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE)? I custom build extension cords to the length your need and with the plug and outlet of your choice, see my extensions in the Adapter’s section for several models; Extension Cords
Email me with your custom request
Quick Sheet Manual: BSA Electronics Intellisplit™ - Intelligent Splitter
We Also Recommend
Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO #1 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5' 10-30 plug cable (before 1996) to two 10-30 outlets with kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter
Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO Customize Your Own, 30A 2-way switcher, 5ft. cable with kWh Meter
Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO #2 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5' 14-30 plug cable (1996+) to two 14-30 outlets, with kWh meter
Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO #4 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5' 10-30 plug cable (before 1996) to one 10-30 and one 14-50 outlets with kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter